There is one thing for certain, it is impossible to have a fully functional CMMS without having an accurate inventory of spare parts. Many companies fail to understand the effects this has on the reliability of the equipment. In short your CMMS will not be much use without an inventory list that is accurate and a stock room that is organized and maintained.
Why do we want an effective Stock Room?
1. Provide needed parts in a timely manner. (two minutes or less)
2. Aid with the identification and location of parts.
3. Eliminate obsolete parts/reduce inventory.
4. Maintain critical parts stock.
5. Obtain a detailed parts usage.
6. Reduce time waiting for parts.
7. Reduce high cost items.
8. Standardize suppliers.
9. Develop spare parts list for equipment.
10. Part requisitions can be auto-generated.
11. Eliminate costs for “RUSH” orders.
12. SAVE $$$
We have noted the following benefits of having an effective stock room from companies we have helped with the process.
– Inventory activities and accuracy improvements by as much as 95%.
– Reduction in maintenance personnel looking for parts to do repairs from 20 minutes or longer to less than 2 minutes.
– Reduction in unnecessary maintenance purchases by as much as 25%.
– Not to mention the boost in maintenance personnel morale. This maybe hard to measure however the attitude of the crafts people is so very noticeable.
Properly setting up your stores is an enormous job and it may take months to complete. It will definitely take time, labor, money, and total commitment from all levels of your organization. Without any one of these factors the success of the process will be compromised. There are too many stories of organizations attempting to organize their stores but never completing it due to a lack of commitment or resources.
We have created a Stores Development Process to effectively set up your stores. With the aid of your maintenance team we create a store room that will be beneficial for your staff as well as your organization. Our consultative approach provides on-site resources as well as guidance and support when we are off-site. In the event you do not have employees to carry out your store room set-up we can provide this service.